Perspectives Server 3.1 + Two new notaries

Perspectives Server version 3.1 is finished! This release adds data caching and some other improvements to make notaries more stable and responsive, and to make running a network notary even easier.

To celebrate I have created two new Perspectives notaries: heimdal.herokuapp.com (which tracks internal performance metrics) and nine-eyes.herokuapp.com (which does not track metrics). You should use them! You can view the notary public keys on their index page and add them to your Perspectives client, or use the following text:

heimdal.herokuapp.com:80

MIHKMA0GCSqGSIb3DQEBAQUAA4G4ADCBtAKBrAEw+W1dv0a00gzVqvHa8SafHhpY
ESsCIB8kj4bb1ccXr7u6vaiBN83ssaPi1N/ZNDlyOnqZwopoZGkgzUxMUNzg9P6V
ph9l7ldMu8XGuwmFoHBgEys633EPcrJcs46lfvNz5JRrYnjh0WMkj0VXvVlYla2g
6aAA80+C7u56D2FodNxWscPNpQWUAHDJOnAWr1CI9CNU/rbl5c85KJ7cW6u+LFBm
pXk2xzJ2tq8CAwEAAQ==
-----END PUBLIC KEY-----

If all goes well I will add these notaries to the list of defaults to help ease the load on other Perspectives servers. As always, if you have questions or comments just let us know!

*Update:* These notaries have been added to the default notary list in version 4.3.3.

Advertisements
  1. #1 by Ray on November 19, 2012 - 9:11 pm

I really appreciate the work you folks are doing. I look forward to the increased performance and security.

• #2 by daveschaefer on November 20, 2012 - 6:19 am

Thanks Ray! I appreciate your encouragement 🙂

2. #3 by Thrawn on December 8, 2012 - 10:43 am

Thanks for the new notaries :). Only trouble was that they had no history, and I’d configured Perspectives to require a 7-day agreement. No big deal.

I’m curious – is it feasible for Perspectives notaries to also support NoScript WAN IP detection? http://noscript.net/abe/wan

• #4 by daveschaefer on December 11, 2012 - 6:24 am

Hey Thrawn!

Yes, I started the notaries with around 200 sites and let them run for a few days to build up a history. Obviously that didn’t cover everything. Now they have more than 26,000 sites, so hopefully that’s more useful!

>is it feasible for Perspectives notaries to also support NoScript WAN IP detection?

Do you mean you would like Perspectives notaries to look up their own addresses so they can check themselves/each other? Or do you mean something else?

• #5 by Thrawn on December 12, 2012 - 6:45 am

I mean having them run the ipecho script that the NoScript author runs at secure.informaction.com, so that they could be used to share the load of that feature. Since they’re already doing a similar job for a different security-related project, it would be nice to have them help out.

• #6 by daveschaefer on December 13, 2012 - 8:06 am

Hey Thrawn,

If Maone needs help meeting demand I think it’s a good idea to help him, and personally I would be willing to run an extra server. But I don’t think code to help the NoScript project belongs in the Perspectives codebase. People who run Perspectives notaries should be able to set up a clean, small footprint, and if they decide to run a second function on their server I think that’s up to them. I wouldn’t want to force all Perspectives notary owners to run NoScript code too.

Do you know if Maone has released the code behind secure.informaction.com ? Follow up with me over email if you want to discuss it privately.

3. #7 by Thrawn on December 13, 2012 - 11:44 am

OK, I’ve spoken to the NoScript developer, and his bandwidth is OK for now. If you’re interested, though, the code is a one-liner:

<?php echo $_SERVER[‘REMOTE_ADDRESS’]; ?>

which allows NoScript to detect and protect the WAN interface of your router.